Here are a few things, in no particular order, that I want to achieve next year.
I'll revisit them every quarter to see how I'm doing.
- 💻 Become a Certified AWS Developer/Architect I want to take these 2 exams, which I've been studying for recently.
Metric: Pass the exam, gain the certificate etc.
- 👩🏫 Run another CodeFirst:Girls course I've already agreed to this, so it's just a case of actually doing it...
Metric: Do it.
- 🏃 Run another 2 marathons I've totally got this! I've got one booked in April, and I'd like to do another one at the end of the summer somewhere exciting.
Metric: Complete the marathons
- 💍 Get married Mauro and I got engaged, so the next logical step is marriage.
Metric: Be married
- 🐾 Walk another section of the Camino de Santiago
Metric: Do it
- ✍️ Publish a blog post, video or piece of content every week This is a real stretch goal, because producing blog posts at the moment takes me a long time, but I want to find a format that allows me to produce things more quickly, in smaller chunks, so I don't keep ending up with mammoth posts that take me aeons to polish and publish. Also, I'd like to get back into making programming videos, I just haven't settled on what exactly I'd like to produce...
Metric: 52 "pieces of content" by the end of the year
- 📚 Keep reading regularly in Spanish
Metric: 12 books read by the end of the year
- 💰 Generate a side income I want to develop a side project that delivers an income. No matter how small, I want to land on something that I can continue to work at in the future, something I that gives a bit of meaning/legitimacy to the work I do outside of work and excites me. This might be freelance stuff, or building an App with the intention of getting it in an app store.
Metric: Make >£1 profit doing something outside of work
- 🤸 Take my yoga to the next level Wow I don't like the sound of how I've phrased that one, but you know what I mean. I want to either go to a course, take a training course, or maybe to on a retreat (perhaps in an Ashram?!?). I need to see how things pan out with holidays, getting married, etc. but I'd really like to take the opportunity, if I can, to take my yoga practice further.
Metric: Be able to (if called upon) teach yoga to a small group of people
- 🧘 Take meditation more seriously again Earlier this year I was doing a lot of meditation, but I don't think I kept it up long enough to really see the benefits. I'd like to go to some classes this year to really learn how I can get the most out of it. There are several centres near where I live, so I have some good options.
Metric: Feel like practicing meditation brings a benefit
- 🐦 Promote myself better I feel like I publish quite a lot on the web but I'm pretty rubbish at self promotion, so that's something I'd like to improve. Increasing followers seems like an easy metric to track.
Metric: 1000 Twitter followers in total by the end of the year
By the way, would you like to Follow me on Twitter?
And.... finally... the big one:
🍺 Give up alcohol
This is something I've wanted to do, and have done on and off, for a long time. I think it's finally time. About 8 months ago I gave up coffee which I always thought would be harder than booze since I'm sure I genuinely was addicted to it, so if I can do that then I'm sure I can do this.
My main strategy for the beginning is to avoid situations where I know I'll be tempted/pressured to drink.
After that I'll figure out better strategies for socialising in places and at events where drinking alcohol is encouraged.
Wish me luck!